EWC's UT3000 & ComfortBridge equipment compatibility

Post your questions and comments here.
John B.

EWC's UT3000 & ComfortBridge equipment compatibility

Post by John B. »

Recently, we have received numerous tech calls from frustrated Contractors who cannot achieve control (communication) between the Ultra-Zone UT3000 zone controller and Goodman "ComfortBridge" rated HVAC equipment.

This is because ComfortBridge "indoor units" are designed to work with "legacy" non-communicating thermostats. A ComfortBridge indoor unit will not accept a communicating thermostat or a communicating zone control, even though the Indoor unit is communicating with the Outdoor unit.

With ComfortBridge, all performance & control logic settings are achieved via blue-tooth and the Goodman smart phone "Cool Cloud" App, and a standard 24vac "non-communicating" Heat/Cool thermostat is specified.

Please refer to the indoor unit "IOA" literature of any ComfortBridge rated system. (ie P/N IOA-4030B March 2020), which is the Model AVPTC series Air Handler. Note that none of the control wiring diagrams reflect a communicating thermostat.

The manufacturer's text specifies a standard Heat/Cool (non-communicating) thermostat to control a ComfortBridge HVAC system, even if the system is a heat pump. So, if you must use a non-communicating thermostat to control a ComfortBridge rated system, then you must use a non-communicating zone controller, such as the Ultra-Zone model NCM300.

If you find yourself in the situation described above, wire up the UT3000 in non-communicating mode and manually program the UT3000 for a standard Heat/Cool HVAC system. If you are planning to zone a ComfortBridge system, specify a model NCM300 rather than the UT3000.

We understand that many contractors are receiving conflicting "compatibility" guidance on these systems and we want to help you avoid lost job time, due to a lack of and/or incorrect information from others.

The UT3000 zone controller is compatible with communicating "ComfortNet" and "FIT" rated HVAC systems, and the ONE+ communicating thermostat, manufactured by Daikin.

The UT3000 is not compatible (cannot communicate) with "ComfortBridge" rated HVAC systems by Goodman.

We encourage you to confirm Manufacturer HVAC system compatibility, by contacting EWC before you buy...

John Brown
Chief Engineer
EWC Controls
John Brown :geek:
Joylove

Re: EWC's UT3000 & ComfortBridge equipment compatibility

Post by Joylove »

FYI I have the Goodman gmvm97 with Comfortbridge and am controlling it with and EWC UT-3000 and a Daikin One+ in Zone 1 and Ecobees in Z2 and Z3.

Here's my setup if anyone needs to copy it.

Joylove

Post by Joylove »

John B.

Post by John B. »

Joylove,

It's great that your ComfortBridge system can be fully controlled by the UT3000. We have received some reports of successful ComfortBridge installations using our patented UT3000 controller.

However, these jobs are very few and far in between. Successful UT3000/ComfortBridge (fully communicating) installations are the exception, not the rule. More often than not, it does not work.

This has nothing to do with the data wiring although correct wiring is critical!...It has everything to do with the logical software version imbedded into each ComfortBridge indoor Furnace or Air Handling unit.

We have heard reports from the field that Goodman is trying to "go back" and regain full compatibility with the UT3000, but we have not received confirmation from Goodman Engineering. Thus, our position remains the same.

We appreciate your input/images on the EWC Forum and your desire to help others. However, we must point out that it's not just correct wiring that determines a successful UT3k/ComfortBridge installation. The Goodman Indoor equipment "software version" and "imbedded logic", plays an important role as well.

Thanks again for your input...

John Brown
Joylove

Post by Joylove »

Hi John.

Totally agree, software will make or break the situation.

Here's what I'm using
EWC UT-3000 Firmware version 1.72
AHU GMVM970804CNBA Firmware version: 10
OU GSXC160481CC Firmware version: 13
Daikin One+ Firmware version: 2.8.2

I believe this is the latest for the equipment, but based on your comments I won't be updating it again, if I'm offered that.
Last edited by Joylove on Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B.

Post by John B. »

Joylove,

Thanks for the equipment specs...They may come in handy.

As you may or may not know, we have been working with Daikin on the CT protocol, for their FIT line of communicating equipment and the Daikin One communicating thermostat. As a result, the UT3000 firmware evolves to maintain compatibility.

This means that older CT based equipment/thermostats may no longer be compatible with the UT3000. The CTK04 is a good example. The CTK04 was supposed to phase out several years ago, but is still available and being used on some Daikin, Amana and apparently some Goodman communicating systems.

However, the CTK04 firmware has not been upgraded/maintained in many years in order to keep up with these new lines of equipment. So once again, it all comes down to the correct firmware in all of the connected HVAC components.

John Brown
Stauffer

Post by Stauffer »

Ok, I joined the forum for this :-)
I have a GMVM970804CNBA with comfort bridge and want to setup zoning.
Will the UT3000 board work as a (non-communicating system) if I can't get all the "correct" versions of firmware installed as joylove has documented?
My main goal is to run this Comfort Bridge modulating furnace as communicating, so this is the first I've heard it may even be possible. Are the deprecated firmware versions available to update to downgrade each "device"?
What are my chances of actually getting it setup as communicating?
Thanks in advance!
Kevin
John B.

Post by John B. »

Kevin,

First off, the UT3000 can be used in non-communicating mode, to operate your ComfortBridge family of equipment, if full communicating mode cannot be achieved.

I assume your Outdoor unit is also communicating? Perhaps a two stage unit or an Inverter? All communicating outdoor units are still operating in Climate Talk protocol.

The primary factor that determines whether one can utilize a communicating controller (CTK04 and/or UT3000) is the designation of the Indoor unit...
If your Indoor unit is designated ComfortNet, then you're good to go. If the Indoor unit is designated ComfortBridge, then it may not be possible.

The reason I say it "may not be possible" is because some Contractors have achieved full communicating capability on ComfortBridge Furnaces with communicating AC units.

The presence of a "bluetooth" module in your communicating Furnace, is a clue. This typically means the Furnace will utilize the "Cool Cloud App" to control staging (BTU capacity via Internal algorithm) and a standard non-communicating controller (Thermostat or Zone control) must be connected to the Furnace. Hence, the Indoor and Outdoor communicate but the controlling device cannot.

Another important clue is to read the Install literature that comes with your Furnace. It will state whether a CTK04 can be connected to create a communicating Network, or if a standard Thermostat must be connected instead.

Many contractors have attempted to connect the UT3000 to ComfortBridge equipment (in communicating mode) without success. As mentioned above, the fix is to manually program the UT3000 as a standard Heat/Cool system and utilize the non-communicating "system" terminal block, rather than the communicating terminal block. Unfortunately, this means BTU capacity is controlled via the Cool Cloud App

If you have your Furnace install literature, call me and I can help you find the pertinent sections that I mentioned above, and discuss your options.

John Brown
Chief Engineer
EWC Controls
Stauffer

Post by Stauffer »

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your explanation.
Kevin
rhillson

Post by rhillson »

John,

BMPlus3000 doesn't have the same compatibility issues with Goodman ComfortBridge models right (because it isn't communicating)?

Regards,
Roger