Zones not working correctly

Post your questions and comments here.
serpico1

Zones not working correctly

Post by serpico1 »

I have an EWC ST 3E system. It was installed by an HVAC contractor back in 2006. I have forced heating and A/C with 3 zone dampers.
Up until this past year, all the zones opened and closed correctly. Then this year, when I started to use the A/C regardless of which thermostat caused the A/C to come on ( I 3 thermostats, 1 for each zone damper) the dampers for Zone 2 and 3 would open, even if only the thermostat for Zone 1 had turned on the A/C. I initially thought maybe the damper motors were shot. But, it was a little hot in the attic to go up and check, as that's where the dampers are located for zone 2 & 3. Now that fall is here and the cooler nights, I have had to turn on the heat a couple times. Now all the zone dampers are working fine. Zone dampers 2 & 3 only open if the corresponding thermostat requires heat.

Now I am totally perplexed as to what is going on. is the controller box circuits going bad, is the heat in the attic in the summer causing the damper motors to overheat and stay open? As open is the default mode for all dampers.
Steven W.

Re: Zones not working correctly

Post by Steven W. »

Good morning;

My name is Steve i am one of the Tech's here at EWC Controls.

It def sounds like there is something going on with your set up. Please when you get a chance
give me a call.

Thank You

Steven R. Weisneck
Technical Engineer
Tel: (732) 446-3110 Ext. #461
Fax: (732) 446-5362 or (732) 446-4946
www.ewccontrols.com
sweisneck@ewccontrols.com
Steven R. Weisneck
Technical Engineer
Tel: (732) 446-3110 Ext. #461
www.ewccontrols.com
sweisneck@ewccontrols.com
serpico1

Post by serpico1 »

Ok
Thank you
serpico1

Post by serpico1 »

Im not sure what the problem may be.
As I said the system was installed in 2006 and has been running perfect until this past year.
the only thing I can think of, is I did have to replace the thermostat for one of the zones. Before all zones were running on LuxPro thermostats. Until the thermostat for either zone 2 or 3, not sure which, either way, the pin came loose and it wouldn't turn on the furnace, even though the temp was below the set value. I replace with a honey well programable thermostat and the heat worked fine. but now like I said the A/C zones are not closing for zone 2 and 3.. could this be that the thermostat is not compatable witht he system or did I miss using a jumper on the thermostat
serpico1

Post by serpico1 »

Is there a way to troubleshoot this problem, to determine if its a damper problem, circuit board or relay problem? Are there certified techs that can come out and analyze this?