EWC BM2000 FAN DOES NOT STOP RUNNING

Post your questions and comments here.
Greg P.

EWC BM2000 FAN DOES NOT STOP RUNNING

Post by Greg P. »

Good morning,
I'm not at my unit now, because there is no internet or cell service at the location, a big bummer. I have gone through the wiring very thoroughly and it appears to be hooked up and installed correctly. LED is flashing properly, and both dampers appear to be working. The damn fan will not stop running. Please help, it might not be anything to do with the control board, but if you can assure me it is not, I can then move on to the next step.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Greg P.
Paul Z.

Re: EWC BM2000 FAN DOES NOT STOP RUNNING

Post by Paul Z. »

Give me a call and we will talk, 1-800-446-3110-X490.
William McCormick

Re: EWC BM2000 FAN DOES NOT STOP RUNNING

Post by William McCormick »

I recently came across a similar problem with an air handler that had an EMC fan unit. It was not the electronic control board or the EMC variable speed electronic speed controller. It was the motor itself. After replacing many EMC motors that would not start, I "assumed" that it must be the external air handler control boards that were messing up. The guys at B&F Johnstone, suggested I purchase the EMC motor tester, rather than just purchasing a variable speed control board, and a new motor. I replace the variable speed controller as well as the motor regardless, when I put in a new EMC motor. In this case I had to replace the motor and variable speed control board anyway, but it was an interesting learning experience.

It turned out the motor and its internal electronics had the motor locked on. If I initiated the fan, once initiated it would not shut off, unless high voltage power was cut to the air handler. Once powered up the fan would not initiate. Once initiated it would not shut off.

If you are interested in trouble shooting this, you can easily test for this scenario. Power down the air handler, in my scenario the fan would stay off once it was powered back up. You can then create a call for the fan, and then shut of the fan at the thermostat. If the unit still runs the fan, lift the thermostat wires or the EWC control board wiring, at the air handler, and if your motor is no good, it will continue to run.

To my shame I did at first suspect the EWC BMP-3000 control board. However when I disgruntledly disconnected the EWC wiring from the air handler and it continued to run, I quickly gained a lot more admiration for the quality of the EWC BMP-3000. That system has been running almost five years now at that location without a hiccup.

I am currently installing a UZC-10, basically a UZC-4 with a sub panel containing six additional zone cards. They are being installed at a music learning center that has many small rooms. Each room will have an ecobee3 thermostat that will sense the presence of occupied rooms and bring them up or down to the target temp.

I am very impressed with the simplicity of installing such a robust system, that offers so much, I am always pleasantly surprised by EWC products. I purchase them through S.W. Anderson, they stock the full line of EWC equipment.

Sincerely,

William McCormick