UT-3000, 3 Nests, ComfortNet system and a Humidifier

Post your questions and comments here.
innoman

UT-3000, 3 Nests, ComfortNet system and a Humidifier

Post by innoman »

I have 3 Nest Thermostats and 3 Zones on one HVAC system. I am planning to upgrade that system to a Goodman DSXC/HMVC ComfortNet compatible system. After some research, I learned I'd be missing out on a lot of functionality unless I upgraded my zone control board and that my Nests are very limited compared to the networked thermostats. The networked thermostats are really expensive and my Nest units weren't cheap either, I'd prefer not give them up.

From what I've gathered, the Nests will work fine with the UT-3000 with only a few limitations (such as no error code feedback, etc..); is that correct? I believe I understand that the variable fan control will work as intended, the UT-3000 will determine based on incoming air temp and the number of zones calling, right? I like the idea of the fan not running full speed on and off all night, it's pretty close to my bedroom--so the is definitely important to me. Is there any major functionality I would be missing out on? If so, I guess I could replace 1 nest with a communicating... But I'd rather go with all Nests if things will work fine.

I have an Aprilaire 400 humidifier (it has the Model 60 control so it can be fully automatic, I guess) that I plan to go ahead and hookup when I get the new system installed. 2 of my nests are newer and have humidity control functionality. What are my options here? How would I hook everything up with the UT-3000 to best control humidity?

My installer (prospective) is coming out tomorrow to verify what size system my duct work can support, etc... I'm going to see what experience he has with these systems but I am guessing it's limited.

Thanks, sorry for all the questions. I just want to be sure I know what I need and have everything ready for the installation. It looks like the UT-3000 isn't easy to find and the only retailer I've found so far states it can take a while to ship.
Erik W.

Re: UT-3000, 3 Nests, ComfortNet system and a Humidifier

Post by Erik W. »

With regular 24 volt legacy stats you will set a weighted value that will apply to all 24 volt stats, you can choose between 100%, 75%, 50% or 25% the factory default is 50%. Your total system demand will work like this, if for example if zone 1 is calling for cooling at 100% and zones 2 and three are idle that equals 100% demand divided by the number of zones gives you a 33% total system demand. As for humidification you can connect your whole house humidifier to the ancillary IAQ dry relay provided. The UT 3000 will start the indoor fan when the IAQ input relay is energized. Connected Zone dampers operate normally and are not affected by the relays function. I hope this information helps, if you have more questions you can contact me at the number below.

Erik Wnoroski
EWC Controls, Inc.
385 State Route 33
Englishtown, NJ 07726
800-446-3110 ext 483
innoman

Post by innoman »

That does help, thanks.

One quick follow-up question... How would it benefit me to use a networked thermostat in one zone? I'd probably use it for the upstairs since that's where my bedroom and the HVAC system is--assuming it helps with noise control.
Erik W.

Post by Erik W. »

Having a communicating thermostat in one of your zones would give you the option of knowing any fault or error codes that may occur in the hvac system. A communicating thermostat will also give you more control over the cooling and heating demand for that zone. For all the information on the UT 3000 go to the main page of our website click on manuals on the top of the page, and you will see a link for the UT 3000.

Erik Wnoroski
EWC Controls, Inc.
385 State Route 33
Englishtown, NJ 07726
800-446-3110 ext 483
MichaelJ

Post by MichaelJ »

Since the CTK03 can handle humidity control, is it possible to have the UT3000 completely control the humidifier (Aprilaire 600/700)? From the wiring diagram for the UT3000, it looks like you just connect the two H lines directly to the humidifier from NO and C on the UT board? From comparing that with the install guide that came with the humidifier, it looks like the humidistat that came with the humidifier isn't needed. Is that a proper assumption?

Here is a link to the install instructions for one of the humidifiers:
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related/70 ... 004.10.pdf

My installer no longer deals with humidifiers often, he said they don't like dealing with liability issues when homeowners don't do proper maintenance, but is willing to hook mine up if I sign a waiver. He asked that I get some clarification (if possible) as he's not familiar with this zone board and intends to install it free of charge as long as he can get it done quickly when he comes out to extend my gas line.

If I am mistaken, how should I hook it up? Is there a wiring diagram available that's more detailed than the install guide?

I appreciate it. Thanks.
Erik W.

Post by Erik W. »

Your are correct in your assumption to connect the humidifier to the NO and C terminals on the UT3000. You do not need the humidistat if you are using a communicating thermostat. If you are using 24 volt legacy stats you will need a humidistat to control the function of the humidifier.

Erik Wnoroski
EWC Controls, Inc.
385 State Route 33
Englishtown, NJ 07726
800-446-3110 ext 483