Noisy system, bypass question

Post your questions and comments here.
Dr.Lightning

Noisy system, bypass question

Post by Dr.Lightning »

I built a new house. Sub installed two heat pumps, 4 ton and 2 ton. The 2 ton system serving the bedroom is too noisy. Too much air noise and humming at the supply registers and return vents.

I believe the air flow is too high. I don't see an easy fix. One consideration is to simply add a bypass. This isn't like a bypass on a zoned system, so perhaps different logic applies. My question is how the bypass, added to the existing non-zoned system, will impact overall efficiency. EWC's white pages (gray pages?) are very useful. But with regard to the efficiency impact of a bypass damper, they speak relative to dump air, which is not an appropriate comparison in my case.

Otherwise, I've thought of adding zoning to the 2 ton system plus tacking on a basement zone. This is because I want to finish the basement and condition the air anyway. The house is extremely tight and well insulated, so there might be enough capacity. Or at least for a portion of the basement, enough so to relieve some of the excessive air flow.

There are many more considerations, but I won't overload this single post with them.
Eric K.

Re: Noisy system, bypass question

Post by Eric K. »

A by-pass cannot be added to your system to solve the noise issue.

The issue you are experiencing is a duct sizing issue. If the 2 ton equipment is sized to properly handle the heating and cooling loads, then you would need to increase the duct size to reduce the velocity and noise or the air flow.

If the equipment is over sized for the heating and cooling loads, then adding a zone to the basement will help reduce the noise and velocity of the air flow.