Low Temp Limit

Post your questions and comments here.
robbieas

Low Temp Limit

Post by robbieas »

This past weekend was about as hot as it has been in Atlanta this year. Around noon my heat pump stopped running. If set the system to run only the fan for 30 - 60 min, the turn the AC back on, the heat pump would run and cool the house for a little while, then the heat pump would shut off again.

I reduced the low temp limit to ~39. That solved my temporary problem, since I had to get the house cool since I had 30 people coming over to a surprise party. What is the safest appropriate low temp set point? And does this seem like a bigger issue, or just this not being set low enough?

Regards,
Robbie
Eric K.

Re: Low Temp Limit

Post by Eric K. »

Robbie,

The Low temp limit is typically set between 40-43.

The fact that is was the hottest week of the year and that you had 30+ people in the house increased the cooling load on the building, is likely what contributed to the de-rated performance of your equipment.

Ultimately, I cannot make an accurate assessment of your HVAC system sitting at a computer. If you continue to have performance issues, I would highly recommend having an HVAC Service contractor evaluate your system.

Eric
robbieas

Post by robbieas »

I did call you guys to get a recommended technician familiar with the BMP3000 I have. We were having this same issue as it began to get warm earlier this year. He fixed a few problems we had (some set point issues, added a little freon, cleared some debris, etc). But the low temp was at almost 50 degrees.

I'm going ot bump it back up a little to something I'm a little more comfortable with.

What are the risks of having this point too low?

Regards,
Robbie
Eric K.

Post by Eric K. »

If the limit is set to low, it is no longer capable of shutting down the compressor. This could cause the coil to freeze and possible damage the compressor.

Eric