Connecting Thermostat: Help Needed

Post your questions and comments here.
oramos

Connecting Thermostat: Help Needed

Post by oramos »

Any help would be appreciated as I am completely stumped. I am trying to connect two RC1000 HAI thermostats to an EWC NCM300 zone panel. I have connected the Zone 1 thermostat and it works fine. The Zone 2 thermostat also appears fine but when it calls for cool or fan the HCAC system is not activated. I have confirmed that there is 24VAC at the R and C at the thermostat. Thus it doesn't appear to be a power issue at the thermostat. I have also confirmed hat if i short G to R at the thermostat the fan goes on. Thus it doesn't appear to be a wiring problem or problem with the zone panel. I also confirmed that although a call is indicated (and there is a click too) there is not 24VAC between the Y/G and C terminals at the panel. Lastly, i have changed the Z1 and 2 thermostats and they both work fine while on Z1 so it would seem it isn't the thermostat either. So, it seems that for some reason the thermostat is not passing the voltage to the terminals (Y or G) when there is a call. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Eric K.

Re: Connecting Thermostat: Help Needed

Post by Eric K. »

What terminals are on each thermostat? (i.e. R, RC, Y, G, etc.)

At the Zone 1 thermostat, what color wire is on each terminal?

At Zone 2?

At the Zone panel, what color wire is on each terminal for Zone 1?

For Zone 2?

Eric
oramos

Post by oramos »

Eric, as to your questions:

What terminals are on each thermostat? (i.e. R, RC, Y, G, etc.)

RH and RC are bridged, i am connecting to RC. Y, G, W and C. 5 wires.

The colors are the same W- white, Y yellow, R red, C brown, G Green at both thermostats and zones panels

Given i ca jump it fine from Thermostat 2 location, doesnt seem to be a wiring issue

At the Zone 1 thermostat, what color wire is on each terminal?

At Zone 2?

At the Zone panel, what color wire is on each terminal for Zone 1?

For Zone 2?
Eric K.

Post by Eric K. »

oramos wrote: I have also confirmed hat if i short G to R at the thermostat the fan goes on.
Have you also tried shorting the R and Y at Zone 2?

Also, check the connection on the RC/RH bridge.

Eric
jonesangela

Post by jonesangela »

Once the mounting plate is fastened on the wall, start to connect the wires. Make sure to match the colors of the wires to the marked terminal connection in the thermostat. If you are not really certain with the procedures, seek help from an electrician.