Wiring Outdoor Condenser unit for a Zone System

Post your questions and comments here.
marcust

Wiring Outdoor Condenser unit for a Zone System

Post by marcust »

Hello,

I installed a 5 zone system by myself without much of a hitch. Now it's getting warm and I need to switch over to AC. Problem is there is no diagram in the installation guide that represents my configuration and I am stuck on how to wire the condenser to the main furnace panel. Here are some specs. I have a Gas heat and Elec AC combo HVAC. My main furnace panel has a Y,W,R,G,C terminal and my condenser has a Y1, Y2, Y2, R, and C. There are also two wires which connect to a transformer that is hooked up to the cool terminal of the main panel. This transformer has other leads coming out of it that lead to the air mover. These are all set. What I don't know what to do with are the red and white wires coming out of that transformer. I think they were originally connected to the Y,W R, G, C in some configuration. Please help if possible.

Marcus T
Eric K.

Re: Wiring Outdoor Condenser unit for a Zone System

Post by Eric K. »

Marcus,

I'm happy to help, I just need to gather a little more information. What Model Ultra-Zone Control panel are you using? How do you currently have the equipment wired? If possible can you post or email wiring instructions/schematics of your equipment and also a sketch of how you currently have it wired? Thanks and I look forward to assisting you!

Eric
marcust

Post by marcust »

Eric,

Thanks for the help yesterday. Just when I thought I understood what you were asking me to do I went back to the panel and realized I didn't ask what to do about the remaining Y wire. Now I am clearer but don't have things hooked up correctly yet. So here's my system from start to finish.

Condenser has a R B Y1 Y2 and Y2 out as well as an X/ that was connected to nowhere.

Main Terminal on the Terminal has a Y W R G and C

I have the Terminal Block already connected to the BMPlus3000 by the W R G.

There is a transformer connected to the Terminal upper left that has a red and white needing a home so I hooked that to the terminal R and C

Finally I have the condenser R and B hooked to the Terminal R and C and the Y going straight to the Y1 on the BMPlus and the Y2 going straight back to the Y2 on the condenser. (that's the brown wire running out of the bottom of the picture)

The condenser fan is turning but it doesn't sound like it's running very strongly. It just kind of wisps. Last summer you could hear that thing pumping from anywhere in the house.

Let me see if I can get a picture to you as well.

Thanks
Last edited by marcust on Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric K.

Post by Eric K. »

Marcus,

In order to best determine how to wire your system, I am going to need to see the schematics of your equipment. You may need no contact a HVAC contractor to assist in the installation.

You can email them to eknorr @ ewccontrols.com or mail them to EWC Controls Inc., 385 Highway 33, Englishtown, NJ 07726.

Eric