BM2000, and heat pump add-on

Post your questions and comments here.
lmcavoy

BM2000, and heat pump add-on

Post by lmcavoy »

We've recently been researching adding central a/c or possibly a heat pump to our current LP gas furnace unit. We currently have 2 zones and the BM2000 control panel and also 2 non-programmable t-stats (1h/1c) connected.

As we are getting quotes on both types of systems, I'm leaning more and more toward a dual-fuel setup, keeping the propane furnace and adding a heat pump but one of the contractors said I'd need a new panel and t-stats while the other quote does not mention this.

From my limited knowledge, it looks like the BM2000 can not run a heat pump and also our gas furnace as the aux heat but I'm not totally sure. Would/should I plan on having to upgrade to the Plus2000 or 3000 if we decide to not only add air conditioning but also a HP to our HVAC? I'm guessing that the thermostats would also need to be changed as well in that case.

Thanks for any info!
Larry
Paul Z.

Re: BM2000, and heat pump add-on

Post by Paul Z. »

Hi. I would suggest that if you up grade to a heat pump, or AC you upgrade to a BMPlus3000. This will give you the option to switch from heat pump to furnace automatic by temperture setting on the board with the use of a OAS (outdoor air sensor). Also you will be able to get a two stage unit, allowing you to get the most for less from the system by use of the staging timer. If your furnace is of age, it might be to your advantage to change it at the same time to a more energy efficient unit along with new thermostats.
Any questions please call 1-800-446-3110 X490 and I will be happy to talk with you. All of our items can be reviewed by going to ewccontrols.com open manuals.

Paul
lmcavoy

Post by lmcavoy »

Ok, is it fairly simple to change out my BM2000 board for the BMplus3000? I was thinking maybe I could change this ahead of time since it will be another month or so before the contractor would be doing the install of the heat pump (leaning toward that instead of just a/c). Everything on my system is EWC currently but I believe at least one of the quotes I received included changing the panel out with a Honeywell or Arzel (can't remember). I'd rather just switch to the 3000 myself than do that.

My LP gas furnace is 8 years old, and high-efficiency so I'm planning on keeping that. I'd like to have everything new and matching but can't really justify that.
Pcyrana

Post by Pcyrana »

Yes, the change out from the BM2000 to the BMPlus3000 is fairly simple.
The footprint of the boards are virtually one in the same.
Erik W.

Post by Erik W. »

Larry,

If your new unit it going to be a two stage compressor then you will have to upgrade the panel to a BMPlus 3000 for two stage capabilities, if not you can operate a dual fuel application with a single stage compressor from the BMPlus 2000 board. You can keep the same stats but I recommend upgrading them if you chose to upgrade the board.

Erik Wnoroski
EWC Controls, Inc.
385 State Route 33
Englishtown, NJ 07726
800-446-3110 ext 483
Jacquelyn24

Post by Jacquelyn24 »

Its beautiful folk songs rooted they could proceed directly from the good old days of vintage and Island when Michael Chapman and Nick Drake were breaking....