Zone 2 Not Quite Working Correctly

Post your questions and comments here.
jflowers

Zone 2 Not Quite Working Correctly

Post by jflowers »

Hello. I have an EWC BMPlus 3000 Controller. I have two Honeywell TH4110D thermostats. I have Goodman Air Handler and Compressor.

Both thermostats are configured exactly the same. When Zone 1 is calling, everything works just fine. The outdoor unit turns on, the air handler turns on and zone 1 cools very nicely.

When Zone 2 is calling while Zone 1 is on, the zone 2 damper doesn't open and the zone 2 isn't cooling down.

When Zone 2 is calling and Zone 1 had reached temperature (zone 1 stops calling), zone 2's damper opens and air begins to circulate. However, over time, zone 2 blows warmer and warmer air. In other words, I shut of Zone 1 to let Zone 2 cool, but the outdoor until never turns on to compress the air.

I have the thermostats configured to be 1H/1C Heat Pump (Y, W, G, O, R, C). The therostat manual says to bridge W+Y, but I have a W and Y coming from the EWCPlus, won't W+Y short out?

My DIPS are set to:
HP
CONV
HP
O
TIMER
OFF
OFF
GAS

Any thoughts?

Jason
Eric K.

Re: Zone 2 Not Quite Working Correctly

Post by Eric K. »

Jason,

If you are configuring the Thermostats as 1H/1C heatpump they should be wired as follows:

Thermostat 'R' & 'Rc' terminals are bridged and connects to the Zone Thermostat input terminal 'R'

Thermostat 'W' & 'Y' terminals are bridged and connects to the Zone Thermostat input terminal 'Y'

Thermostat 'O' terminal connects to the Zone Thermostat input terminal 'O/B'

Thermostat 'G' terminal connects to the Zone Thermostat input terminal 'G'

Thermostat 'C' terminal connects to the Zone Thermostat input terminal 'C'

I hope this helps you. If you have further questions, let me know.

Eric
jflowers

Post by jflowers »

Thank you for the information. Well I figured out the problem. I had W + Y unbridged, but the wires were switched. I had WHITE into Y and YELLOW into W. once I switched them it worked. DUH!

However, I am interested to know if on the thermostat that Y+W should be bridged together at the thermostat, what should be connected at the EWC control board? Should Y+W on Thermostat be connected to W or Y1 on the Zone on the EWC Controller.
Eric K.

Post by Eric K. »

Jason,

With W & Y bridged, that should connect to the Y1 on the zone control panel.

Eric
jflowers

Post by jflowers »

Duh, you said that in your previous post.

What happens (or will happen) if I have Y going to Y1 and W going to W/E in a heatpump thermostat and NOT bridge the two?
jflowers

Post by jflowers »

Furthermore, I'm even more curious. In the BMP3000Plus Tech bulletin for the EWT-3707 wiring diagram on page 4 (Figure 2c) it shows a heat pump thermostat and Y and W aren't tied together.

I understand this is another type of thermostat, but I'm just curious why it is differnent than what is posted about tying Y+W together.
Eric K.

Post by Eric K. »

Jason,

A true Heatpump thermostat will energize the 'Y' terminal with a heating or cooling demand, the mode being differentiated by the reversing valve 'O' terminal.

The Honeywell TH4110 is not a true Heatpump thermostat and energizes the 'Y' with cooling demands only and energizes the 'W' with heating demands. That is why you must bridge the two terminals so they act as one, similar to a true Heatpump thermostat.

To add to the confusion, you could separate the 'Y' and 'W' as you mentioned and operate the thermostat as a Standard Heat/Cool type, but you must configure the BMPlus3000 to use those style thermostats. Going by the saying "If it isn't broke, don't fix it", I think it would be best to leave the thermostats as they are.

Eric
jflowers

Post by jflowers »

Eric,

Well I had the DIP Switch set to HP thermostats but the wiring was for a HC thermostat and the termostat itself was configured to be heat-pump.

I bridged Y+W and connected to Y1. I disconnected W. I tapped the reset button on the 3000Plus. Everything works fine.

Jason