Upgrading EWC-ST-3E to NCM300

Post your questions and comments here.
Iristyle

Upgrading EWC-ST-3E to NCM300

Post by Iristyle »

I'm swapping thermostats from White Rodgers 1F97-1271 to Sensi WiFi thermostats, and verified that my best bet was to perform a board upgrade from my EWC-ST-3E to an NCM-300, specifically so that I can gain a C wire to power the stats at the wall. I have an American Standard Freedom 90 Single Stage Condensing Gas Furnace (AUX060C936D) and American Standard Comfort Coil (Universal Heat Pump / Cooling) (TXC036C4HPC).

I have attached a picture of the current setup. The damper motors and zones 2-3 are pretty self explanatory. I'm interested in making sure I wire up "SYSTEM", the zone 1 thermostat and the dip switches correctly given there are some differences going from the ST-3E to the NCM300.
IMG_20161227_115850.jpg
* For SYSTEM I currently have Y, W, G and R. Y and G are self-explanatory. R connects to either Rh or Rc as they are jumpered. I believe that the previous W wire is connected to W1/B?

* For the zone 1 stat I currently have W, Y, R1, O, B, G. I believe I wire W -> W/E, Y -> Y, R1 -> R, G -> G. I previously had separate wires for O and B though, and they are connected to the existing thermostat. The current White Rodgers zone 1 thermostat is configured in "heat pump" mode, and I have a picture of that wiring as well:
IMG_20161227_131846.jpg
Note that like the board, the new Sensi thermostat only have a single O/B terminal, not independent terminals:

For dip switches, I believe that I have to set dip switch 1 to "heat pump" and dip switch 2 to "heat pump" thermostats.

It would be great if someone could confirm this wiring for me. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Z.

Re: Upgrading EWC-ST-3E to NCM300

Post by Paul Z. »

Give a call 18004463110X490, have a few questions.
Iristyle

Re: Upgrading EWC-ST-3E to NCM300

Post by Iristyle »

I configured as I had originally described, but wired the original system W to new W2/E rather than W1/B. Everything appears to be working fine - the system is ultimately controlled by master thermostat 1, though my other 2 zones may call for heating / cooling as before. I did notice that the dampers seem to be "open", even when no zone is calling for heating / cooling. I'm not sure if that behavior is different from the old board, or if I'm just noticing it more because of the LEDs that are showing.

I also verified that the C wire was working properly by removing the batteries from all of the thermostats and hooking them up to the wall - they all powered up properly.

The other thing I noticed is that when all stats were set to "cooling", the compressor LED came on, but my outdoor condenser didn't spin up. I assume the board is functioning properly, and that there's a problem elsewhere in the system. Last summer the condenser was having problems starting and I had an HVAC tech come out and get it going (I live across the country, and had a tenant, so had to take their word for it rather than investigate myself). They seemed to think the condenser might need replacing soon, so it's possible that thats the problem.