NCM300 - zone motors not working right

Post your questions and comments here.
jakalski

NCM300 - zone motors not working right

Post by jakalski »

I just replaced an EWC ST-2d with an NCM-300. I was careful to make sure I moved all wires from the old board to the corresponding terminals on the new board. I've got two zones each with one damper. The dampers were wired to the old board to the 6-4-1 terminals and that's how I wired them to the new board. The system powers up and but it seems that when zone 2 calls for heat the damper on zone 1 stays open, even though the lights for zone 1 are off. When Zone 1 calls for heat, zone 2 similarly stays open.

The motors seem to be working, but not correctly. I tested by reversing the wires on Zone 2 such that the 6 from the control board is wired to the 4 on the damper motor and the 4 on the control board is wired to the 6 on the damper motor. When I do that, the motor opens and closes with the indicator light on the control board -- but this doesn't seem to be the right wiring based on the instructions.

On the flip side, zone 1 stays open even though the light is off and only zone 2 is calling for heat. I manually nudged the damper lever on the motor and it moved to the closed position. Then I raised the temp in zone 1 to initiate a call for heat and the zone 1 motor opened. But it doesn't close on its own.

Should I reverse the wiring for Zone 1 as well? Should I leave zone 2 wired from board to motor as 6-4 and 4-6 and 1-1?

Thanks,
Joe
Paul Z.

Re: NCM300 - zone motors not working right

Post by Paul Z. »

Give a call have a few questions, 18004463110X490.
jakalski

Post by jakalski »

Thanks, Paul.

I will give you a call after the new year.

In the mean time, I did some additional checking. The voltage output from the board is correct - M6 for close/M4 for open on both motors. The Zone 1 motor doesn't move from open to closed on its own--it needs a little nudge so when zone 2 calls, I have to tap the arm of the zone 1 motor just a little and that gets it moving to the closed position. Once there, when zone 2 is satisfied or zone 1 calls, it moves on its own from closed to open. Does this mean that the motor needs to be replaced?

Zone 2 is the one where I have now reversed the M6 and M4 wires at the motor--that is, M6 from the board is wired to M4 at the motor. This seems to be working fine but I can't explain why?

I note that the 2 and 5 terminals on both the zone 1 and zone 2 motors are are jumpered together.

As for wire color on the board - 6 is white, 4 is green, and 1 is red.

Please let me know if any further info is needed.

Best,
Joe
CariKahn

Post by CariKahn »

Hi..in my case It was determined that the zone control board had failed. Tech guy was on the phone with EWC tech support and nothing would bring it back to "life". EWC was more than helpful to try and resolve the issue,they will be drop shipping a new unit out tomorrow directly from the factory! They said it was very uncommon and almost demanded to get the broken unit back so they could inspect it. Either way I'll be back up and running soon.

turnkey pcb assembly