New to multi-zone, questions as to proper operation

Post your questions and comments here.
myklup

New to multi-zone, questions as to proper operation

Post by myklup »

Hello all, just moved into a renovated house that included a completely EWC Multizone setup. Have an NCM300 Zone Control System and two MA-ND4's (one for each of two zones)

Furnace (oil) is in basement
Zone 1 - First Floor
Zone 2 - Second Floor (Bedrooms)

The issue I'm having is Zone 2 (Bedrooms) requesting heat, with Zone 1 not requesting/off. Zone 1 Damper is showing red light/closed, Zone 2 Damper showing green light/open - this seems correct to this point. The problem is that Zone 1 is getting what seems to be the full amount of airflow as it would if it was requesting heat - and Zone 2 is actually correctly open, but the airflow is less significant - most likely due to being further away. It does not seem to the be the case in the opposite direction, Zone 2 seems to successfully close when not in use.

As an example I currently have Zone 2 set to 68 and Zone 1 set to 58, however the temperature in Zone 1 (downstairs) is now 69 degrees as it seems to be getting most of the warm air flow.

All of the LEDs on NCM300 seem to align correctly with how I believe it should be operating.

Any ideas? In it's currently functioning state it is still keeping the house comfortable, but seems to be significantly less efficient than it could be if it JUST heated the upstairs (Zone 2) when when that was the only zone requesting heat.

Is it possible that the Zone 1 damper is not set to close completely?
Eric K.

Re: New to multi-zone, questions as to proper operation

Post by Eric K. »

It sounds as if you may be having an issue with the damper on zone 1. I suggest calling us at the number below while you are home and we can walk you through some trouble shooting steps to try and resolve the issue.

Eric
myklup

Re: New to multi-zone, questions as to proper operation

Post by myklup »

Just wanted to give a quick update - I never ended up having time to call (and couldn't find my multimeter). My dad happened to be here this weekend (HVAC engineer) and we troubleshot the problem. One of the MA-ND4's motor was moving correctly, the light was changing correctly on it, but it wasn't actually moving the shaft that opens and closes the dampers. We took the actuator(?)/motor off the damper and reinstalled, after tightening the bolts on the bracket that actually has contact with the shaft it seems to be working perfectly. Just as an aside each part seemed to be working perfectly independently as well - the damper doesn't have much required to open/close and the motor was moving fine.

Probably could have saved $1000 of heating oil if I had called you guys sooner or had him visit me sooner to moving in =)