Aux. heat

Post your questions and comments here.
BUR

Aux. heat

Post by BUR »

I had a Trane XL15i heat pump installed back in the spring with a EWC BMPlus3000 included with two zones.I have had some installation problems with inexperienced techs seemingly lost when it comes to controls. To get to the point, my aux. heat will not come on at all. It has been in the mid teens on several occasions and the heat pump will not keep up with the set point which is understandable, the other day the t stat was set on 69 and the inside temp was 60 and did not improve until the sun heated the outside temp. The t stat does call for aux heat but the unit does not respond, I checked the EWC leds and the W2/E led was not illuminated if this helps. Also, the the staging is set at off, the low temp is at 40, the high temp at 170 and the 2nd stage at 19. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Eric K.

Re: Aux. heat

Post by Eric K. »

How are the dip switches on the center of the board set?

Are you using heat pump or straight heat/cool thermostats?

Eric
BUR

Post by BUR »

The switches are

L
R
R
L
R
L
L
L

The t stats installed by the contractor are Trane TCONT800 touch screen programmable.

Thanks
Eric K.

Post by Eric K. »

When the thermostats are calling for Aux heat what lights are lit on the board?

On the thermostat inputs on the BMPlus3000, is there a wire connected to the W/E terminal? What is it connected to on the thermostat?

With the Timer potentiometer set to OFF, the only way to stage up is with the thermostats. If there is nothing connected to the W/E terminal then I would suggest setting the timer.

If you wish, you can call us at the number below while you are home to troubleshoot.

Eric
BUR

Post by BUR »

The status light is flashing
zone 1 is on
fan is on
y1 is on
w1/b is on

There is a wire connected to the W/E terminal on the zone 1 t stat not on the zone 2 t stat. It is a creme colored wire, there is no corresponding creme wire connect to the t stat, there is a white wire connected to X2 on the t stat.

Thanks for your help.
Eric K.

Post by Eric K. »

Not knowing exactly how your thermostats are configured, the safest and simplest thing you can do to achieve backup heat is to adjust the 'Staging Timer' to a value higher than 7 minutes. Set it for the amount of time you want the heatpump to run on it's own before backup is brought on. On average this is set about 15-20 minutes.

Doing this will allow the BMPlus3000 to energize your backup heat regardless of how the thermostats are set.

Eric
BUR

Post by BUR »

I will give that a try. Thanks for your help.
Eric K.

Post by Eric K. »

My pleasure, let me know if it works or not.

Eric