Heater not coming on

Post your questions and comments here.
ronjkaplan

Heater not coming on

Post by ronjkaplan »

I have a two zone heating / cooling system using a NCM 300 Ultrazone controller, a Rheem model RHSL-HM2417JA air handler and a Rheem 13PJL24A01 heat pump. The zones are controlled by EWC MAND4 control valves. This was placed in to a new construction building by a local small contractor. At one point the heating system did work. At this point the air conditioning works properly with both zones operating as planned. However the heating portion of the system does not turn on in either zone. Unfortunately, my relationship with my builder has deteriorated to where I can not get them to respond to the issue. I had a different contractor out to look at the system and they said that everything was connected properly and the only thing they they thought the issue could be was a defective controller. They recommended that I again try contacting my builder to get the controller checked under warranty. I not sure if they know what they are talking about or if the controller could have an issue. Is it possible that a setting could be off or something was disconnected as it did work at one point? It doesn't seem to make sense to me that the controller could make the AC work with proper zoning and the heater doesn't come on at all. I have a photo of the controller board and settings with the hope that you can look at it and see something set incorrectly. If you could contact me over email at (ronjkaplan@yahoo.com), I can forward the image. I am attaching an image to this post, but I'm not sure if it will make it. I would hope to get your comment as to where I can go from here to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Ron Kaplan
Eric K.

Re: Heater not coming on

Post by Eric K. »

What type of thermostats are you using, regular heat/cool or heatpump thermostats?

The thermostats appear to be wired for heatpump type (terminals on the right) but the dip switch #2 is set for standard Heat/Cool thermostats.
ronjkaplan

Post by ronjkaplan »

The Thermostats are Honeywell TH4110D1007 units.
ronjkaplan

Post by ronjkaplan »

Just to clarify the issue, I tried swapping the dip switch #2 to the HP position and the end result was the same. The thermostat says that heat is on, the fan for the heater comes on as it should, but the heater does not heat the air. Can this be a wiring issue or it possible that the heating unit is defective? Is there a way to manually turn the heating coils on to confirm that they are working properly?
Eric K.

Post by Eric K. »

What lights are lit on the zone control panel when you are calling for heat?

It would be best if you contact us at the number below, while you are home, Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm eastern. Have a multi-meter and small screw driver handy.