MA-ND4 and ST-2E

Post your questions and comments here.
rokosz

Thermostat Options for EWC-ST Series

Post by rokosz »

In the same vein as the subject:

Environment: EWC-ST-2E installed 2 zones, Master themostat and slave thermostat. Until recently both stats were WR
1f80-361. Due to a very long story, which I'll spare you unless you ask, the Master was replaced with a WR/Emerson 1F97-1277. I do not see that WR/E on the list you provided in your earlier reply to this thread. On its face Is that a bad thing? It may be moot given my situation, please keep reading.

With the scenario as described above the system has been working, sort of. There are other issues which I will start in a new post (search MA-ND4) or will call Tech Support.

However, to continue, the 1f80-361 and the 1F97-1277 are both single stage stats. My Air Handler (A/S 2TEE3F48A1000A) is variable speed. From what I understand the above two thermostats will not allow the A/H above to operate optimally.

Is that true? If so, which multi-stage stats are recommended? thanks.
rokosz

MA-ND4 and ST-2E

Post by rokosz »

Layout: Master Stat: WR/E 1F97-1277, Slave Stat: WR 1f80-361

Air Handler: A/S 2TEE3f48A1000a. Note: Stats are single-stage, A/H is multi (variable speed)

Control Panel ST-2E, damper motors: MA-ND4

Original installers were sub-par. Current techs are scratching their heads -- but I don't think they took the time to see what I saw tonight. This all started when it seemed that neither zone would blow (at the registers) if both zones were calling.

Summary:
1) The stated problem above didn't occur last winter. The Master stat was installed July 2010. It replaced a WR 1f80-361. Current techs brought in July 2010 to resolve on-going issues left by installers (who had call-backs every change of season since Fall 2008 to correct something they'd spaghetti patched the previous season.)
2) In heat mode (not tested in cooling) both zones ND-4s show green/open even though no call for heat is made.
3) The Master ND-4 appears to never leave green/open. Also, the Master ND-4 orange wheel never seems to move from what appears to be a closed position (yes, with a green led).
4) other: just for completeness: the A/C condenser will kick in, when in heat mode and a call for heat is made. Not tested for which zone (or both) could be doing this. Confirmed no shorts for wiring. currently the circuit breaker keeps this from occuring.
5) other: Master ND-4 in very tough location. Can single eyeball from about 6 feet away looking up its face from t-block to wheel
6) other: I have another (reply to an) earlier thread this evening re: the single-stage stats vs the desired multi-stage stats.

Scenario #1:
Neither zone calling. Master stat bumped up, Slave stat bumped up. Both nd-4 show green, good flow to slave register. Mediocre to "ooze" for Master registers.
Knock back Slave stat, Slave nd-4 closes to red. A/H still running. Knock back Master stat. A/H runs, Slave nd-4 goes to green, Master nd-4 remains green, a/h stops (after 1+ minute), Master nd-4 remains green. Master Orange indicator does not move and appears to be closed entire time (2pm).

Scenario #2:
Neither zone calling Knock up master stat only. A/H on. Slave ND-4 goes to red/closed. Master ND-4 stays green. Master Orange indicator doesn't move and appears to be closed (2pm). Flow at Master registers is satisfactory.
Knock back master stat. A/H off immediately (<5 secs). Slave damper opens to green. No visible movement of orange indicator on master ND-4 and it remains green.

Somewhat frustrating that for days I've been running around setting thermostats and feeling up registers trying to suss out the scenarios. And tonight, after discovering that the leds do tell a story, I wasn't able to experience both zones _oozing_ heat (rather than blowing) when called upon.

If a zone isn't calling shouldn't the LED for that zone be red?

Can you shed any light on this situation or make any suggestions? Thanks for taking the time to think about this.
Eric K.

Re: MA-ND4 and ST-2E

Post by Eric K. »

The Model ST-2E is a Single Stage Heat and Single Stage Cool zone panel. If you have multi-stage equipment a different zone control panel is required. For use with multi-stage thermostats it is recommended to use the Model UZC4 zone control panel.

The problems you are experiencing may be a result of mis-application of the ST panel. I advise replacing the ST with the UZC4 as the first step in resolving the issues you are experiencing.