Comfort Net CTK01 need replacement?

Post your questions and comments here.
sgwhite15

Comfort Net CTK01 need replacement?

Post by sgwhite15 »

Randomly I have been getting a "Check System" message on my CTK01 thermostat and when that happens the A/C will not work for a while. I sometimes turn the system off and back on a few times or flip the breaker and the system will restart. I have had three HVAC companies check the system and they cannot find a problem. Yesterday, I took the thermostat off the wall and then returned it and the A/C came back on.
The thermostat is 10 years old.
Is it possible that replacing the thermostat will solve the problem. I can only find a CTK04 online, but based on other forum discussions it appears that I can replace my CTK01 with the CTK04 as a DIY.
Thanks for any input.
Steven W.

Re: Comfort Net CTK01 need replacement?

Post by Steven W. »

Yes if you think your CTK01 is bad then you can swap it out for a CTK04
Steven R. Weisneck
Technical Engineer
Tel: (732) 446-3110 Ext. #461
www.ewccontrols.com
sweisneck@ewccontrols.com
sgwhite15

Post by sgwhite15 »

Steven, thanks very much. Do you think the "check system" message could be thermostat related? I hate to spend $500 for a thermostat if that is not a logical assumption.
Steven W.

Post by Steven W. »

Give us a call when you are in front of the stat and we will double check your stat for you to see if it is bad or not.

732-446-3110 Ask for a tech.
Steven R. Weisneck
Technical Engineer
Tel: (732) 446-3110 Ext. #461
www.ewccontrols.com
sweisneck@ewccontrols.com
sgwhite15

Post by sgwhite15 »

I will call next time it the A/C turns off and it is showing the "check system" message. Thank you!
LHN144

Post by LHN144 »

Yes, sgwhite15, I did get the "CHECK SYSTEM" message with my old CTK01 randomly as well, along with the touch screen problem. I remembered I replaced the 2 new AA batteries for the CTK01, the message disappeared and the A/C ran again. But, then the CHECK SYSTEM message came back after that. I got to shake the stat by popping it off and on the wall to make the system running again.

Since the time I replaced the CTK01 with the current model CTK04 for about 2 months now, I have not yet got the message, and the A/C has been running normally. ( I also checked the heater system, it ran fine too with the new CTK04.)
I really keep my fingers crossed, as you noticed, the CTK04 is not on the cheap side...But, so far so good.

Again, much thanks to Steven W. for his help on my CTK01 case.