Ultra Talk 3000 communications

Post your questions and comments here.
cadillackid

Ultra Talk 3000 communications

Post by cadillackid »

currently, i have a completely custom Designed Multi Zone HVAC system built around an Old RCS ZCV4 zone control panel. RCS has stopped making and supporting this.. and I am now on my last one (I had a couple spare parts but now running my last one)..

so since my system is basically 2009 its time to uodate with various components..

so im looking to use the Goodman GMVM series Modulating Furnace which is Climatetalk capable.

I have 3 zones and will want to run each zone on a CTK04 COmmunicating thermostat.

of course i see that the UT-3000 has no provisions for external computer control or reading, so im planning to manufacture my own custom Board and place on the Climatetalk Network to be able to read setpoints, temperatures, operational modes, etc.. and "emulate" a "zone" or controller that doesnt truly exist.

1] can the UT-3000 handle true Modulating equipment and not just operate it as staged?
2] can EWC and i work together on my custom project so that I may integrate and possibly open up an avenue that EWC may wish to explore which is computer integration with home automation systems through the EWC panel?

3] I have EWC 3 wire dampers on my supplies and returns, can these same drive open / drive closed dampers be used with the UT-3000?

4] I am already building custom Boards so that my Mini-split heatpumps can live in and operate in a climatetalk environment as well.. though this may be out of the scope of this project as my current hardware / software implementation for those works quite well.(full wired comms to the minis. I am NOT just emulating IR.. I get true feedback from them on their operating modes).. however integrating them into the Mix with the UT-3000 isnt something I would rule out...

-Christopher
John B.

Re: Ultra Talk 3000 communications

Post by John B. »

Christopher,
We appreciate your keen interest in the UT3000 and you are obviously quite knowledgeable. Answers to your questions are below.

1] can the UT-3000 handle true Modulating equipment and not just operate it as staged? YES
2] can EWC and i work together on my custom project so that I may integrate and possibly open up an avenue that EWC may wish to explore which is computer integration with home automation systems through the EWC panel? POSSIBLY, BUT NOT VIA THIS FORUM.

3] I have EWC 3 wire dampers on my supplies and returns, can these same drive open / drive closed dampers be used with the UT-3000? YES

4] I am already building custom Boards so that my Mini-split heatpumps can live in and operate in a climatetalk environment as well.. though this may be out of the scope of this project as my current hardware / software implementation for those works quite well.(full wired comms to the minis. I am NOT just emulating IR.. I get true feedback from them on their operating modes).. however integrating them into the Mix with the UT-3000 isnt something I would rule out...

Best Regards
John Brown
Chief Engineer
John B.

Post by John B. »

Christopher,
We appreciate your keen interest in the UT3000 and you are obviously quite knowledgeable. Answers to your questions are below.

1] can the UT-3000 handle true Modulating equipment and not just operate it as staged? YES
2] can EWC and i work together on my custom project so that I may integrate and possibly open up an avenue that EWC may wish to explore which is computer integration with home automation systems through the EWC panel? POSSIBLY, BUT NOT VIA THIS FORUM.

3] I have EWC 3 wire dampers on my supplies and returns, can these same drive open / drive closed dampers be used with the UT-3000? YES

Best Regards
John Brown
Chief Engineer
cadillackid

Post by cadillackid »

I am re-introducing this thread.. 9 YEARS LATER.. LOL.. ha.. time flies when you run a business that sucks up all your time..

my old system lasted far longerthan I ever expected an experimental system to last.. in 2023 I finally swapped out the chinesium custom inverters and replaced them with fujitsu, designed and built new controls.. all good..

now onto the gas heating system.. 100% of my dampers are EWC 3 wire (which by the way have been the absolute most reliable dampers ive ever used.. Love them)..

anyway im back to looking at the UT-3000 and using either the goodman or daikin communicating stats.. as well as a goodman GMVM097 gas furnace..

then I read someplace where new versions of the furnace were breaking the communications with the UT-3000. is this still an issue or has it been resolved? is there another compatible communicating modulating furnace which would be a better fit for this?

if there is a known sticking point diffrence in the goodman comfortnet protocol vs what is output by the UT-3000, could I buld a translator to sanitize the comms or is the issue more fundamental in nature and not just a single command or syntax?
-Christopher