Thermostat Options for EWC-ST Series Control Panels

Post your questions and comments here.
Erik W.

Re: Thermostat Options for EWC-ST Series Control Panels

Post by Erik W. » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:10 am

Unfortunately no each zone is controlled by a separate thermostat, if you were to control them by the same thermostat that would basically unzone your home.

Erik Wnoroski
EWC Controls

hancox

Post by hancox » Fri May 10, 2013 3:15 pm

hancox wrote:So, finally getting around to installing my thermostat replacements (of course, when it turns colder...)

My upstairs Robert Shaw thermo has:
White --> W
Red --> R
Black --> B

...seems like an exact match to the TH4110D1007, so hopefully cake.

The downstairs Honeywell has:
White --> 4
Red --> 5
Black --> 6

...in the same general pattern. Is this just as easy? (ie R to R, W to W, B to B on the TH4110D1007?)

I'm keeping the MCS-DXB as-is, as it gives me a nice reason to replace my filter 2x a year.

So, I ended up hooking my 2 TH4110D1007's this way. No issues at all during heating season. (MCS-DXB and thermo switches turned to heat).

Now, I just tried a cooling test (on only the downstairs for now). MCS-DXB set to cool. The AC did not turn on with the TH4110D1007's set to cool. They did turn on when set to heat, and below temp (which sort of makes sense, given the former setup with dial thermometers). Only worry is - once the thermostat went back to "heat on" mode, the AC didn't shut off. I admittedly didn't try it for too long, so I might have just been impatient. Any chance I did something wrong here?

Erik W.

Post by Erik W. » Tue May 14, 2013 8:59 am

It seems to me that you have a wiring issue, which would be better handled over the phone rather than the forum. You can contact me at the number and extension below and I will gladly help resolve this issue for you.

Erik Wnoroski
EWC Controls, Inc.
385 State Route 33
Englishtown, NJ 07726
800-446-3110 ext 483

hancox

Post by hancox » Tue May 14, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks Erik. I'll likely have to call tomorrow, as I want to confirm my panel wiring first. In theory, it should match diagram 3 on http://ewccontrols.com/acrobat/090375a0115.pdf , but my thermostat wiring never matched that (as you can see from my earlier posts)

hancox

Post by hancox » Wed May 15, 2013 4:24 pm

So - looking at my old post, and looking at the diagram in that PDF, I'm fairly sure my upstairs Robert Shaw was mis-labeled.

From my old post:
My upstairs Robert Shaw thermo has:
White --> W
Red --> R
Black --> B
So, my Y terminal on the panel is wired to "B" on the TH4110D1007. I'm guessing this merely needs a switch to "Y"

Assuming I'm right - better question is - how did this work with heat all of this time? :)

Erik W.

Post by Erik W. » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:34 am

what wire was in the b terminal on the panel?

cheaproomd

Post by cheaproomd » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:39 pm

Same thermostat for both zones?

Erik W.

Post by Erik W. » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:22 am

Use the same thermostat for both zones, you will need 6 wires in zone 1(y,w,r,o,b and g) and only 3 wires (r,y and w) in zone 2.

Erik Wnoroski
EWC Controls, Inc.
385 State Route 33
Englishtown, NJ 07726
800-446-3110 ext 483

gregwink

Post by gregwink » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:35 pm

Hello Erik,
I have an EWC ST 2E ultra zone control panel.
It provides master/slave control to two separate (very old, mercury controlled) Honeywell thermostats (zone 1 and zone 2).
I want to replace the old thermostats with new ones - nest 2.0 learning thermostats.
I replaced the master (including a C (common) wire, so the thermostat can draw 24v power from the control panel, and it works fine.
I tried to replace the old slave thermostat, but I can't get it to work - the nest will not recognize any wires I installed (R, Y, and W). I do not know how to install a common wire on the slave.

My question: Can I use a second nest for the slave - is this possible? If not, can I just use the old Honeywell thermostat that is there now as the slave, with the nest as master?

I would like to install nest for both, if possible? Do I need to install a "switch" (i.e. MCS-DXB) to run the second nest thermostat as a slave? Or should I just return the second nest and leave the first nest as master, and keep the old Honeywell thermostat as the slave?

Many thanks in advance.

-Greg

Erik W. wrote:It seems to me that you have a wiring issue, which would be better handled over the phone rather than the forum. You can contact me at the number and extension below and I will gladly help resolve this issue for you.

Erik Wnoroski
EWC Controls, Inc.
385 State Route 33
Englishtown, NJ 07726
800-446-3110 ext 483

Erik W.

Post by Erik W. » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:20 am

You need to use the MCX-DXB switch if you are using nest thermostats. The problem is not your zone 2 thermostat but actually the zone 1 stat. The zone one or master thermostat needs to have separate o and b terminals which the nest does not have. Installing the switch will allow you to use nest thermostats in all zones.

Erik Wnoroski
EWC Controls, Inc.
385 State Route 33
Englishtown, NJ 07726
800-446-3110 ext 483